What a journey it has been. I really had no expectations for this semester because I've never been in graduate school before lol. I will say that it is much more time consuming than I would have thought. I've learned some things this semester that will certainly help me next semester (time management for one). Yes, graduate school is intense but I know this is what God has called me to and that makes it worthwhile. A month off for Christmas is also a huge help. We have no break between spring semester and summer semester so I'm enjoying this break as much as I can! I'll be leaving in the morning for a week in Arizona with my parents for Christmas then they'll be coming back here to San Diego for New Years!
I moved to San Diego less than a week before classes started so I did not have much time to adjust to a new place. Overall, the adjustment has gone better than I expected. I feel like I often struggle with transitions especially with how much I have moved around since college. Being so busy with school did not give me much time to worry about it as I always had something to do. I'd say about half way through the semester around midterms I definitely had a week or two where I felt overwhelmed and doubted whether or not graduate school was for me. Sure graduate school is busy for anyone, but psychology graduate school also involves a lot of self-reflection. While this is good, it also adds another element of looking at how every aspect of my life can impact my future work as a therapist. While this process is not easy, I believe that it will help me become a better therapist. I believe that you can't ask a client to go somewhere you've never been yourself. I am making the most of the people in my life now who are helping me grow to become the best therapist I can be when I start seeing clients in practicum the fall of 2014.
I do miss my friends back in Chicago. Please come visit :) My door is always open and San Diego is a great escape from the Chicago winter.
Things I'm thankful for this semester.....
~My church out here: The Rock Church...awesome worship every week and great messages that have really challenged me to grow. They stream 5 services live every Sunday so check out a service sometime from wherever you live!
~Finding an affordable place to live just east of San Diego about 20 min from school and church.
~Learning how to navigate all the San Diego freeways (I have to take 4 just to get to school :)
~The new friends I've made through my school, Azusa Pacific University.
~Getting all A's my first semester and a 4.0 GPA.
~Getting to know some of my classmates on a deeper level in my first group therapy experience.
~My professors at APU who have invested in me this semester.
~And of course I couldn't not mention this...the weather! It makes me happy :)
~Spending Thanksgiving with my niece, Ava, Greg, Melissa, and my parents. It was a wonderful visit and my niece is the cutest little girl in the world. Her smile is my favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!
~Knowing that I am right where God wants me to be!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!
How a 5 1/2 month old opens presents...with her mouth of course. She caught on so quickly!
These are the moments I live for. I cannot wait to be a mom someday!
Ava's first time in the pool in Arizona. She liked it and she also liked the sand on the hiking trail which means she must like the beach and she is definitely related to me :)
No comments:
Post a Comment