Thursday, October 31, 2013

Graduate School Reality...9 Weeks In

I am officially a California resident now!  I had to take a written test for my driver's license but I passed and my vehicle now has California plates on it.  My dream of being a California girl is coming true :)

The last 5 weeks of school since my last post have been busy.  I love the content of my classes but the work load is more time consuming than I expected.  It's getting harder and harder to stay attentive in classes that don't end until 9:30pm.  But overall, I'm doing well grade wise and with getting all my assignments in on time.  I have really enjoyed getting to know two of my professors outside of the classroom.  I know for me in high school and college, it was the relationships I had with my teachers/professors that really helped me grow and learn the most.  I'm thankful for these two women that care about me and pray for me.  For a lot of people, graduate school is not an easy season, especially in the field of psychology.  Much of our classwork initially has us focus on ourselves and to work on areas in our own lives which we haven't fully dealt with.  I know many of us have thought we had dealt with stuff and then something in class triggers a reaction and you realize that something is still affecting you.  I think it's great that our school requires us to be in individual therapy while we are in school.  How can you become a good therapist if you haven't been in the client's position?  It's not always easy to do so much self-reflection, but it will help us become better therapists and healthier people overall. 

Classes and homework have been consuming much of my time.  It's really hard to not have much of a social life outside of school.  I'm thankful I have my classmates to talk to who are feeling the same way right now.  There just isn't extra time to develop relationships outside of school to the level I would like.  I have found that it is also very helpful to learn to incorporate self care into my life now because once I become a therapist that will be even more important.  One of the ways I do this is my "no homework Saturdays."  I do not do any homework on Saturdays and usually go do something fun in the afternoon.  I have mentor training Saturday mornings for another 4 weeks at church.  I have really been enjoying my church...the Rock...on Sunday nights and have a friend I attend with.  They stream all their services live so feel free to check a service out sometime online.  I'm learning so much through that and really trying to be disciplined to fit time with the Lord into my daily schedule.  I'm not doing so well with that so far but I'm in a phase right now where I know some changes need to be made and I'm working on them.

I just returned on Tuesday from a weekend in Arizona with my parents, uncle, and surprised my grandma for her 82nd birthday!  It was a much needed time away from graduate school life and a time to relax.

This is how homework should be done...by the pool or while getting a pedicure (thanks Mom :)!!!!


Arizona Sunsets are AMAZING!!!!




I love my parents!  And Chilis!

How I'm Really Doing:
Overall I am really enjoying life in California and my graduate school program at Azusa Pacific.  However, it's frustrating not having time to do the things I want to do.  I knew graduate school would be busy but I guess I didn't realize how busy and time consuming.  I've been worrying a lot about money because I don't have any income right now.  I also don't really have any close girlfriends out here yet.  I would like to join a gym but can't seem to figure out where that fits in my schedule.  I'm on top of actual work for school but behind on reading.  Being in graduate school is isolating and lonely as most of my time is spent alone doing work if I'm not in class or at church.  I miss working and being around people every day.  I am trying to see how I can change some things while still being devoted to doing well in school as that's my primary focus for these two years.  There have been some things talked about in class that have been triggering for me so those are things I'm working through now with my therapist and professors.  

Can't wait to see this precious girl in 27 days!!!!  Be sure to turn up the volume and make this full screen :)

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment