Monday, August 12, 2013

Moving. Part 1: June 2013

Let me bring you all up to speed on exactly where I'm going and the story behind the place I am moving to in 2 weeks in San Diego.  Along with this I also want to fill you in on my summer and all the logistics that have gone into moving across the country.  It's been a CRAZY summer but God has worked out so many things I didn't think he could.  I'm grateful for all the details that have been arranged so far and the last final step to come as I move from Arizona to San Diego.

PART 1 OF 2

June 2013

Most Important thing that happened in June was I became an aunt!  On June 12, 2013 at 4:06am Ava Faith Steinsdoerfer was born weighing 7lbs 13 oz and measuring 19 inches long.  I made the 6 hour drive down to Carbondale, IL after I heard that Melissa had gone into labor the day before.  I hadn't planned to go but I couldn't miss out on the chance to be one of the first to meet my first niece!  I met Ava a few hours after she was born and WOW what a miracle a baby is.  I was waiting outside the room and my brother wheeled her around the corner.  I saw my brother first with a big smile on his face then looked down and couldn't believe this precious baby was my niece!  I fell in love at first sight and was amazed at this amazing baby God had created.  So glad I drove down to be there!




Work:  June 28th was my last day.  My last week of work was bittersweet.  On Monday the day program staff threw me a surprise potluck and all went around and shared encouraging words and memories of my 3 years working at Meier Clinics.  Even our day program psychiatrist/medical director came in to say a few words.  On Thursday during our weekly staff lunch, Brad, my supervisor got up in front of everyone and shared how much he appreciated me and opened the floor for others to share.  Then he prayed for me and I was given a few cards signed by many of the staff.  They had given me a $100 gift card (they were going to buy me the new DSM but figured it'd be too hard to move it, good idea so they gave me the gift card instead :).  Jordan, who has been one of the people I had worked closely with for 2 years had gotten some balloons to decorate and gave them to me.  It was nice to know that I would be missed.  Finally it was Friday (my last day of work).  Once I arrived, the girls I worked with closely downstairs had decorated my desk with streamers and balloons.  They had brought in some sweets for breakfast.  At our staff meeting at 11am, again they prayed for me.  After the meeting I came back downstairs to a bunch of the staff in our office area and they had ordered pizza for lunch.  After the pizza, Nina (my cousin's wife) had brought in gelato that her family makes.  It was a great lunch and a wonderful time socializing with my staff team that had become like family to me.  The whole day was just full of surprises and I enjoyed every moment I got to spend with everyone that day!  While everything they did really touched me, the most significant thing I took away from the goodbyes were the words of affirmation that the staff shared with me.  To hear clinicians (therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists) say that you are going to make a great clinician and are excited for the path I'm taking was priceless.  The words will stick with me always and I'm sure I'll come back to many times in the midst of my graduate school studies.  I love these guys with all my heart and was so blessed by the experience of working at Meier Clinics.  What I learned will help me tremendously in my field and future career and the people made it a joy to come to work every day.  THANK YOU TO YOU ALL!!!!
  

Moving: What an adventure this was to put it lightly.  I had been living in this house that had been on the market for awhile.  It was a very large house and I was basically keeping it clean and keeping an eye on it for the owner until it sold.  It was a short sale so once it sold it'd be at least 3 months til I would have to move out.  I knew it was a risk but it was a great deal, the price was right and the space was amazing!  I had planned to move out on July 6th and then fly to Arizona on July 7th.  My car was going to be picked up on July 5th.  Friday, June 21st everything changed...only 2 weeks prior to my move date.  At 3:30pm I got a strange email from my landlord saying they moved the closing date up on her and I had to be out by Monday.  I emailed back to get clarification on which Monday and then it got changed to having to be out by Sunday which was in 2 days.  I hadn't packed anything.  My Mom was flying in on Saturday (the next day) to Chicago from Tucson and my Dad the following weekend.  The plan was for them to help me pack and stay in the house with me.  After a few moments of panic, I quickly rented a moving truck and told some people what was going on.  They agreed to be available to help if I had to move on Sunday...which I did!  My Mom had a friend who agreed to help out and pick her up from the airport Saturday night so I could stay home packing.  She arrived at 7pm to the house.  She quickly kicked things into high gear and we started packing.  With only one trip to Home Depot for a few more boxes I had everything else on hand.  We pretty much stayed up all night.  We picked up the moving truck Sunday morning and 2 of my cousins, my uncle and Nina came to help load the truck (on one of the hottest days of the summer in Chicago).  My uncle stepped up and said I could store my stuff in his living room for 2 weeks.  My grandma helped out by letting us store our food in her fridge and letting us borrow her car.  The Austins (family friends) let us stay at their house at the last minute for almost 2 weeks.  By the end of the day we were beyond exhausted but somehow together we got it done.  I was convinced there was no way this was possible but through a miracle that only God could have orchestrated people came together and I got moved out 2 weeks early and with less than 48 hours notice.  Again, THANK YOU ALL!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment